August 20, 2008

Word Count Wednesday

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
15,084 / 25,000
(60.3%)

I'm a little behind - but we are half way through!! This week, I forced my character to choose between plums and blueberries. May be the cruelest thing I've done yet.

Sentiment is allowed
to tarnish choices,
when it comes to
favoritism, I think.
With the grit of blueberries
on my tongue, I see
grandaddy's hand,
leathery, spotted,
bent with old Arthur.
It cradles seven berries,
we stand beneath their shade.
Ages old, they tower
above our heads,
mine tangled and twelve,
his bent with years,
bowed with history.

My family has no history
with pies - blueberry or
otherwise. The greatest
hope the fruit had to look
forward to was being
layered over vanilla pudding
stirred for so long by
grandma in her housecoat
or being tossed lovingly
over a brightly enameled
bowl of home churned ice cream
(also vanilla and sometimes
butter pecan)

Most of our baskets
are emptied on the
road towards home,
some are taken casually
with home grown radio
on the front porch steps,
but the best are devoured
with relish on the bridge
beside our grove,
watching the current
ripple over mica and fairy
crosses and raccoon tracks
from the night before.

Mmm, yes - blueberries,
with all my heart!


For me, it's plums. There are a few in the kitchen calling my name. Since this week stunk so bad, here's a real artist for you!

“i thank You God”
e.e. cummings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;
and for everything
which is natural which is infinite
which is yes
(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;
this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:
and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online